Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday night baking: Ranger Cookies

I completely forgot a friend's birthday a few weeks ago.  I knew it was coming up and bam!  it was over.  I'm blaming my forgetfulness on the kids being sick lately but in truth I am just a scatterbrain most of the time. :)  So I bought a cute little belated birthday card but knew that wouldn't be enough for him to forgive me.  They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach so I'm taking an apology gift of cookies to church tomorrow.  I found an awesome recipe for Coconut Cream Pie cookies but didn't have any cream cheese so that recipe will be coming to you at a later date.  I decided to try Ranger Cookies from my Betty Crocker cookbook because Jess likes coconut, raisins and oats.  Can't go wrong, right?  I baked up a few without raisins and I am thinking tossing in chocolate chips in place would be mighty tasty.  I mean everything is better with chocolate!


Ranger Cookies

1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 C flour
1 C quick oats
1 C coconut
1 C raisins, dried cherries, Craisins, or mixed dried fruit bits

Beat butter with an electric mixer on high speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda.  Beat until combined.  Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.  Add flour slowly and beat until combined.  Stir in oats, raisins and coconut.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes or until edges are golden. 

The recipe says it makes 48 cookies.  Has anyone else ever been able to make as many cookies as the recipe states?  Maybe I just make mine bigger but I always end up with way less than the stated amount.  I ended up with 25 cookies.  Anyway they are very soft and chewy and I will definately be adding those chocolate chips I mentioned before. :)

Happy Baking!

1 comment:

  1. I had a very different thought... We make ranger cookies by dumping a packet of sugar into the foil lined non-dairy creamer packet in the MREs. Heat over matches or MRE heater until it caramelizes. Or the cocoa mix + instant coffee + creamer + sugar packets with just the right amount of water = ranger pudding.

    I don't think I've ever known of a Ranger to actually eat either of those things though.

    ReplyDelete