Thursday, March 3, 2011

First post-New Recipe!

Ouch, one line from being finished with this first post and I accidentally deleted it.  I hope this isn't an omen. 

My intent is for this blog to be about cooking with recipes and tips but I guess we'll just see where it goes.  Maybe I'm creating this blog as an outlet for my frustration in wanting to make a cookbook with my family and not getting the response I was hoping for. :)  (If you're feeling guilty at this point, maybe it is you I am speaking of. haha)  Friendly reminder:  Eakins family let's get those recipes together!!

Anyway enough of trying to guilt my family into participating in my cookbook project.  Tonight I tried a new recipe called Mom's country fried steak.  In my opinion country fried steak implies a piece of cubed steak floured, fried to a golden brown and smothered in cream gravy.  Wipe the drool off your chin, this is nothing like that.  I also made mashed potatoes, green beans in an iron skillet fried with bacon drippings and beer bread.  I realize there is nothing healthy about this meal but it sure was tasty!

Here's a tip for those of you who don't know.  When making mashed potatoes add some cream cheese to them before mashing.  It improves taste and texture and also makes them super yummy when re-heated.  I never make mashed potatoes without it!  If cream cheese is on sale super cheap buy a few bricks, toss them in the freezer for this use.  (Do not use frozen cream cheese for cold dips, when thawed it has a gritty texture but when mixed into mashed potatoes you can't tell)

Mom's Country Fried Steak
2 lbs round steak
flour
salt and pepper
1 med onion, chopped
1 sm. green pepper, chopped
1 T vegetable oil
1 T browning sauce

Cut steak into medium sized pieces.  Place each piece between two sheets of wax paper and pound lightly using a meat pounder.  Roll in flour and salt and pepper to taste.  Place steak, onion, pepper, and oil in skillet and cook on low to medium heat until steak is cooked through.  Remove steak and add 1 T of flour to drippings and stir until blended.  Slowly add water until desired consistency is reached; stir in browning sauce.  Add steak to gravy and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.  Salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. Fried Steak Yum! Cream cheese in Mashed Potatoes AND green beans with bacon, too! I'm coming to your house for dinner :)
    Cousin Janice

    ReplyDelete