Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pot Roast with Buttermilk Gravy

Pot Roast with Buttermilk Gravy sounds like the perfect recipe for this cool day.

3 lb beef chuck roast
3 T oil
1 onion, chopped
3 T flour
1 C buttermilk
1 C water
 4 T beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper

Brown roast in oil.  Remove roast to slow cooker and top with onion.  In skillet, add flour to drippings and cook and stir until brown.  Add buttermilk, water, bouillon, thyme and pepper, cook and stir until thickened.  Pour gravy over roast and cook on low setting for 5-7 hours.

Tips:
If you have bouillon cubes like I do, I subsituted one cube per T and it turned out fine.
To make buttermilk, simply add a splash of white vinegar to milk and let sit for a minute or two.

This roast rocks!  Chuck roast is one of my favorite meals and this recipe didn't let me down.  I am saving all the gravy and tonight we'll have roast with mashed potatoes and other sides and tomorrow I'll chop the leftover roast into smaller pieces and we'll have Manhattans.

I hesitate to post a pic because the pic does not do justice for just how yummy this roast is.  Yet I enjoy looking at a picture to help me decide if I want to make the recipe so here it is: 

Before serving remove roast from crockpot and remove meat from fat.  I'm also going to skim off some of the fat floating in the gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment