Friday, March 4, 2011

Rainy Friday night, I'm thinking Settlers' Beans and a Movie

Forecast is looking gloomy tonight and with a sick kiddo our plans for seeing the new movie Rango has been tossed in favor of dinner and a movie in.  Sadie picked out two new movies this week:  Bambi and Snow White so I'm sure it'll be a Disney Movie night.  She's been calling Bambi the "Fumper" movie all week long after seeing the commercial where the cute little bunny says, "They call me Thumper."  Anywho I don't mind watching Disney movies with my babies, one day they will be too big to sit and watch cartoons with mom and dad on Friday night.

So the recipe for tonight is Settlers' Beans.  I think I'll bake a pan of cornbread to go with it.  It's hard to serve beans in this house without having some good ole Jiffy cornbread to go with it.  Now if only Gerald and I could agree on what level of brown-ness for the bread.... But that is a conversation for another time. :)

Setthers' Beans
1/2 lbs bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled, drippings reserved
1 med onion, chopped
1 lb ground beef, browned
15 1/2 oz can kidney beans
15 oz can butter beans
16 1/2 oz can pork and beans
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c bbq sauce
1/4 c ketchup
1 t chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion in 3 T reserved bacon drippings.  Combine with bacon and beef, mix in beans.  Add brown sugar, bbq sauce, ketchup, chili powder, salt and pepper.  Spoon into a 2 qt casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for one hour stirring occasionally.  Or pour into crockpot and cook on low for 3-5 hours


This recipe sounds like it'd be great for those days when you forgot to lay something out for dinner.  I buy ground beef in large packages when it's on sale and bring it home and put it into smaller meal sized packages in the freezer.  If I have time I'll brown 3-5 lbs of beef and onion and then freeze it in ziploc bags in meal sized portions.  This makes meal prep quick and cuts down on mess when you're presssed for time.  And it would be perfect for this recipe!

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Forgot to add a pic, darn. So far so good, the recipe didn't specify whether to drain the beans or not but when I mixed it up it looked dry so I tosse the juices in.... we'll see in a it if that was a mistake! I'll try to remember to post a pic of this later.

    ReplyDelete