Thursday, June 18, 2015

Homemade flatbread, similar to Subway

I have always enjoyed Subway.  Now that I'm more conscious of what I'm eating I have become somewhat obsessed.  I could eat Subway every day.  What I don't enjoy is the cost.  But that flatbread is oh so good.

 Earlier this week I decided to try making some from a recipe I found online.  It was quite yummy.  Not exactly the same as Subway but close.  It was super easy and I had 8 large flatbreads in a hurry.  Sadie even ate one hot from the skillet, no butter, no fillings.  Then she asked for another.  :)

Copycat Subway Flatbread
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1 c warm water
1 envelope active dry yeast
3 T milk
6 c flour

Mix sugar, water and yeast in a bowl.  Let sit until frothy.  Pour into kitchen aid with dough hook attachment.  Add milk and salt.  Stir in half the flour so the mixture becomes creamy.  Add more flour to make a soft dough.  Let the kitchen aid knead for 3 minutes.  Let dough rest for 5 minutes.  Turn out onto floured surface and separate into eight pieces.  Roll each piece thin.  (Original recipe says 1/4 inch but I rolled mine thinner - a tad bigger than the size of a Subway 6 inch piece.). Prick with fork to prevent shrinking.  Sprays each side with nonstick cooking spray.  Cook in hot skillet until bubbly, flip and cook other side until browned.   Top with your favorite sandwich fixins' and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment